"squz"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 11 19:54:54 UTC 2002

At 12:07 PM -0500 11/11/02, Fritz Juengling wrote:
>No, but I have heard 'skwoze' many times.
>Fritz

Ditto

>>  I recently heard a word that I have only heard one person say. As a
>  > past-tense form of the verb "squeeze," this person said "squz" [skw^z]. Has
>>  anyone ever heard of this word? This person is from the same geographical
>>  area that I am from. Is it possible that this person created this word? How
>>  and why would he/she do this?

If I *did* here [skw^z], I don't think I would transcribe it as
"squz", given the standard orthographic conventions.  I think it
would have to be either "squuz" or "squiz", although the latter is
admittedly misleading.  "quC" is ill-formed, where C is any
consonant.  (Not counting unnaturalized loans.)

larry