N.Y.C. (1901); Mahimahi vs. Meeting-house

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 11 21:01:37 UTC 2002

N.Y.C.

   Jesse asked me about the first use of N.Y.C.=New York City.  I'm getting tons of bad hits, mostly for the New York Central Rail Road (N.Y.C.R.R.).

   17 November 1901, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 24:
   "Historical Day and Evening of the N.Y.C.C.D.A.R.," the latter being translated meaning New York City Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, are to be celebrated at Sherry's on Saturday, Nov. 30.

(I'll do better.  I just what to see what Fred Shapiro comes up with--ed.)

MAHIMAHI VS. MEETING-HOUSE

   I ran the name "Lorrin Andrews" ("L. Andrews") through OED online.  The entry for "meeting house" came up.  This is a newly revised entry.
   "1865 L. Andrews  Dict. Hawaiian Lang." is the first citation!  No brackets, either!
   It was probably there also in 1836, but I didn't look.