"squz"

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Mon Nov 11 23:44:08 UTC 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Laurence Horn wrote:

#At 2:47 PM -0500 11/11/02, Dodi Schultz wrote:
#>
#>But I say "skwoze," myself (that's a long "o"). So do lots of others. ;-)
#>
#>--Dodi Schultz
#
#P.S.  As to orthography, why not spell it "squoze"?  That's how I
#think of it.  (It's my standard jocular preterit for "squeeze".)  Let
#me try googling...Yup, 716 for "squoze", 0 for "skwoze".  Majority
#rules!  (But I will allow for minority rights too.)

Perhaps apropos:
        I snoze a sneeze into the air.
        It fell to earth I know not where.
        But hard and cold were the looks of those
        In whose vicinity I snoze.

Google finds several variants of this, attributed to Ish Kabibble, Ogden
Nash, and good old Anon.

-- Mark A. Mandel