Sugar on Snow(1941); DARE is almost here; Shorter OED

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 13 23:01:57 UTC 2002

SUGAR ON SNOW

A DROP IN THE BUCKET:
THE STORY OF MAPLE SUGAR TIME ON A VERMONTFARM
by Muriel Follet
Brattleboro, VT: StepehnDayePress
1941

(No page number; photo caption--ed.)

Sugar on snow is made by boiling syrup until it is thick enough to wax on snow.  Pickles--to take the sweet taste out of your mouth--doughnuts and coffee are Vermont accompaniments.

(This book, like so much of the new New York Public Library, was "off site" in New Jersey--ed.)

MISC.

_DARE_ IS ALMOST HERE--I purchased the next volume of DARE months ago on Amazon.  I got anote today announcing that it's been shipped.  I'll lookat it before I make a Popik "Potlach" Post.

SHORTER OED--See the large article by Warren Hoge in Tuesday's NEW YORK TIMES...Over ten years ago, I copied all my "Big Apple" material, copied all of Gerald Cohen's "Big Apple" material, and walked into the NEW YORK TIMES building.  I asked to speak to someone about it.  I was given a telephone,and I spoke to Warren Hoge.  He told me that there was no one I could talk to--mail all my material directly to him.  I did.  It's been ten years, and he wasn't even kind enough to return my material in a self-addressed stamped envelope.  Hoge was the first of about a dozen TIMES people who wouldn't even respond...Now, he gives a commercial publisher from England free publicity?

DAVID SHULMAN'S BIRTHDAY--It's his birthday this month, and his home is throwing a monthly birthday party for everyone tonight, and he's _requiring_ me to attend.  He told me that there will be plenty of women there, but "they'll all be senile."