Gusla, Kollo (1848); Turban Cowboy; DARE's here!

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 15 08:52:53 UTC 2002

   I'll probably visit Temple University this Monday.  The library's Urban
Archives has clippings files of the PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER, the PHILADELPHIA
BULLETIN, and the PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS.  I need better Philadelphia
coverage because ProQuest Historical Newspaper won't be doing Philadelphia
for at least another year.
   I'll look for an earlier "hoagie" in the Temple University student
publications.

DARE'S HERE--It's here!  Only about two days after Amazon sent me an
e-mail!...I can't invite a woman to this apartment, but I looked under "poor
boy," and it's nice to know that this mess is the "Popik Collection."

VIKRAM CHATWAL, TURBAN COWBOY--The headline in this week's (18 November 2002)
NEW YORK OBSERVER.  It's a nice pun on the movie URBAN COWBOY, which is a
little old by now.  Chatwal is a rich playboy in the big city, but besides
him, who else does this term apply to?

DALMATIA AND MONTENEGRO
by Sir J. Gardner Wilkinson
London: John Murray
1848

   OED has "gusle" from 1869 and "kolo" from 1911.  I has posted an 1851
"kollo."  I finished just volume one of two.

Pg. 35:  ...their favourite _gusla_. (...)
   ...and the name _guslar_, or player on the cithara, being applied to a
"wizard," appears to argue the use of it in the days of Pagan superstitions.

Pg. 169:  They call it _collo_*, from being, like most of their national
dances, in a _circle_.
*Collo, or Kollo, signifies "circle."  There is another _collo_, danced by
women at marriage fetes, which I shall mention afterwards.

Pg. 393:  These, as well as the _Scoranza_, and the _Castradina_, or mutton
hams, are principally for re-exportation to Venice and other places.

Pg. 428:  ...smoked mutton (_Castradina_) salt fish (_Scoranza_)...

Pg. 440:  ..._gusla_*...
*Pronounced gussla, or goosla.