Canoodle: odds and ends

Patty Davies patty at CRUZIO.COM
Fri Nov 15 16:02:46 UTC 2002

This ("honky") is again different for me.  I say and am sure I have always
heard:

"donkey"      /'dawnk ee/
"monkey"     /'muhn kee/
"honky"         /'hawnk ee/

and you pronounce "honky" as /'huhn kee'/ which is "hunky" to me.  So you
pronounce "honky" and "hunky" the same way?  And I also find it *very*
interesting that the politically incorrect words rhyme.  I wonder how
widespread the pronunciation is so that this rhyming is the case.  You
would think this would have been picked up on for a sociolinguistic study
(oooh, a new research project :) ).

Patty