Cochlear Implants: The Death of Sign Language?

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Nov 15 23:25:29 UTC 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Philip Trauring wrote:

#I have to say that if I had to choose between ending deafness and
#losing sign language, I'd end deafness.

But the right to choose lies properly with each deaf person. Hearies
like me may only have and ... uh ... voice opinions.

#Let's not forget that those who are deaf can also not appreciate
#music nor hear a car horn (perhaps before an accident).
#
#Also, those who are dumb (is there a more PC term for one who cannot
#speak?) will continue to use sign language...

Mute.

-- Mark A. Mandel