Kotch 'em going & coming (1906); Pinata

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Nov 16 08:39:19 UTC 2002

KOTCH 'EM GOING & COMING

ACROSS THE PLAINS NAD OVER THE DIVIDE:
A MULE TRAIN JOURNEY FROM EAST TO WEST  IN 1862, AND INCIDENTS CONNECTED
THEREWITH
by Randall H, Hewitt
New York:  Argosy-Antiquarian Ltd.
1964
(Originally published in 1906)

Pg. 18:  Like the negro in the story they "Kotch 'em going and kotch 'em
coming."
(What negro in what story?  How old is the sucker terminology "they get you
coming and going"?--ed.)

Pg. 101:  Conversation around these neighboring camps ran at a lively rate,
and a continued jargon of voices mingled in one uninterrupted stream of
words.  There was always enough interest to keep up an unflagging current of
noisy talk.  We heard more western phrases during those neighborly
associations than ever before got to our ears.  Such expressions as "packing
water," "right smart," "right peart," "freuit," for all kinds of table sauce;
"right smart of wood," "right smart chance," "quite a few," "carry the horses
(or oxen) to water," "buckut," for water pail, and numerous other
colloquialisms to an endless degree.
(See the new volume of DARE for "right smart" and "pack-water"--ed.)

Pg. 249:  Such prairies as we found to-day, and to be met with everywhere,
are called "Holes" in Rocky Mountain phraseology.

PINATA

   William Safire's column this Sunday discusses "pinata."  Lead story!  I
posted right here the first citation for "pinata," so I looked for my name.
   If the first citation comes from a reference work such as OED, Safire
almost always cites that.  Citing my work would be helpful to his readers.
It would be helpful to a fellow ADS member.  And it wouldn't cost him
anything at all.  Here's a case where he'd have to go out of his way NOT to
help me.
   My work is never mentioned.