"Upset" & other nomenological phenomena

Sun Nov 17 14:54:10 UTC 2002

My favorite is from the Polish-speaking world. Before WWII, "Alfons"
was a Frenchified but perfectly reasonable Polish name. After
(during?) the war, it took on the meaning "pimp." I met a guy in
Krakow once (in his 50's in the 70's) who hemmed and hawwed when I
asked him his name. Of course, it was "Alfons."

I'm not sure, but I would suspect that the "Randy" handle for
"Randolph" died in Britain (when it became a synonym for "horny," as
it did not in the US - surely the case since I was once introduced to
a "Randy Cox" with nary a giggle).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston