Korean War Slang (December 1951)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Nov 19 18:15:32 UTC 2002

> > Great Scott, nobody remembers my finding that in the Civil War?
>
>You find so many things, remembering them is a problem! The ADS-L
>archives don't seem to contain anything from the Civil War, though
>they do cite unsupported comments that the expression may be linked
>to General Winfield Scott.

On 10 Jan. 2001, Bapopik posted

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0101B&L=ads-l&P=R2482

-- showing "great Scott" from 1864, in "Eye of the Storm", a (presumed)
Civil War diary published only recently.

Some parts are available on the Web, and many early instances of popular
slang are present ... perhaps too many .... I wonder how certain the
provenance of these memoirs is.

-- Doug Wilson