"Nutty as a fruitcake" (1935 in VILLAGE VOICE)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 20 02:13:21 UTC 2002

   A "fruitcake" article is in this week's VILLAGE VOICE
(www.villagevoice.com, then hit Counter Culture).  The article says that
"nutty as a fruitcake" was coined in 1935.
   Now rush right to the RHHDAS H-O, go to "nutty" on page 698, and read
this:

   1912-1914 in E. O'[Neill _Lost Plays_ 171: We sure are as nutty as a
fruitcake or we wouldn't be here.

   For the benefit of the VILLAGE VOICE: Eugene O'Neill was a playwright from
Greenwich Village.  The RANDOM HOUSE HISTORICAL DICTIONARY OF SLANG H-O
(1997) has been out for over five years now.  Where did you get this
mis-information?  From Robert Hendrickson? John Mariani?  DOES ANYONE
FACT-CHECK ANYMORE??
   If you ADS-Lers want to have real fun like I experience every day of my
life, try writing a letter to the editor of the VILLAGE VOICE and get them to
correct this.  Get treated like dirt!  It's fun!!!!
   (O.T.:  Sorry for that "simulacrum" typo in my last post.  It's one of my
favorite "upscale" words.)

Counter Culture
by Robert Sietsema
A Short History of Fruitcake
November 20 - 26, 2002
Abbey of Gethsemani
800-549-0912,
<A HREF="http://www.monks.org/">www.monks.org</A> Claxton Bakery
800-841-4211,
<A HREF="http://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/">www.claxtonfruitcake.com</A> Collin Street Bakery
800-292-7400,
<A HREF="http://www.collinstreetbakery.com/">www.collinstreetbakery.com</A> Holy Cross Abbey
<A HREF="http://www.monasteryfruitcake.org/">www.monasteryfruitcake.org</A> Takashimaya
693 Fifth Avenue,
212-350-0100

lame the fruitcake plague on the cheap sugar that arrived in Europe from the
colonies in the 16th century.
Some goon discovered that fruit could be preserved by soaking it in
successively greater concentrations of sugar, intensifying color and flavor.
Not only could native plums and cherries be conserved, but heretofore
unavailable fruits were soon being imported in candied form from other parts
of the world. Having so much sugar-laced fruit engendered the need to dispose
of it in some way—thus the fruitcake. By the early 19th century, the typical
recipe was heavy as lead with citrus peel, pineapples, plums, dates, pears,
and cherries. Whether or not anyone actually enjoyed eating it, fruitcake
persisted, finding fertile soil in the New World, especially in places where
fresh fruit was difficult to come by. Nuts were introduced into the formula,
probably because America's foremost fruitcake makers—Collin Street Bakery in
Corsicana, Texas, and Claxton Bakery of Claxton, Georgia—were located in
rural Southern communities with a surplus of cheap nuts; indeed, the
Corsicana cake includes pecans. The expression "nutty as a fruitcake" was
coined in 1935.
(...)