Baboon, Urney Pudding, Stickies, Weary Willie Cake

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 22 06:10:44 UTC 2002

MISC.:  Yes, I took the 3:57 train back to Boston.  But the Green Line "T" is
nowhere near Wellesley.  I saw a sign that said Boston is 10 miles away.  I
walked at least five miles...The Boston Public Library had NOTHING.  The LOC
and NYPL both have edition three of the Boston Phoenix CHEAP EATS (1975).
The BPL had the same edition.  A librarian told me that they "don't have
every book."  Well, yeah, but this is a book about Boston restaurants, and
this is the Boston Public Library.  No menu collection, no newspaper
clippings files, no newspaper indexes, either.  I took the 7 p.m. bus home.

THE WELLESLEY COOK BOOK
edited by the Utah Wellesley Club
("S.I.: S.n., n.d."  One author was Class of 1918, if that helps--ed.)

Pg. 24:
_BABOON--(An Excellent Supper Dish)--_
   One-half cup of milk; 1 heaping teaspoonful butter, melted in milk, in
chafing dish; 5 eggs, dropped in hot milk.  As soon as the eggs begin to
thicken add the solid part of can of tomato or about two cups.  Stir
throroughly all the time and add salt, pepper, paprika and sugar to taste.
Serve on crisp crackers.
   MASSACHUSETTS.

Pg. 36:
_URNEY PUDDING--_
   Two eggs; their weight in butter, sugar and flour; 1 teaspoonful soda; 1
tablespoonful raspberry jam.  Beat butter and sugar to cream, add eggs one by
one, beating lightly.  Then add raspberry jam and soda and lastly flour.
Beat well.  Grease pudding basin and boil for two hours.  Tie a cloth over
the top and set in pan of boiling water.
   NEW JERSEY.

Pg. 38:
_STICKIES--_  (Next DARE?--ed.)
   Make a good biscuit dough (beaten biscuit dough), roll thin; take a large
cup of brown sugar, the same cup of molasses, a little more than half a cup
of butter.  Cream butter and sugar together and spread on the dough.  Cut in
pieces one and a half inches, roll and set on end and pour syrup over them
after placing in a baking pan.
   NORTH CAROLINA.

Pg. 41:
_WEARY WILLIE CAKE--_
   One cup sugar; 1 cup flour with 1 teaspoonful baking powder sifted in.
Mix these two together.  A scant one-third cup melted butter.  Break a whole
egg in a cup and fill cup with milk.  Pour this into sugar and flour.  Put in
vanilla and a little pinch of salt.  Beat all with a Dover egg beater and
bake.  This makes eight cup cakes.
   IOWA.
(Can we use "Dover egg beater" to date this book?--ed.)

FAVORITE RECIPES OF WELLESLEY ALUMNAE
Compiled by Wellesley-ni-Westchester
for the Seventy-Fifth Anniversary Fund of
Wellesley College, 1875-1950

Pg. 26:
      _MAHFUH_
      _From a Friend in Iraq_
   Use fresh young _grape leaves_ if available.  (If not, use cabbage leaves
wilted inboiling salted water.)  Better do a few at a time.  Mix well (1 1/4
pounds finely ground meat_ and 1 cup uncooked rice_.  Roll firmly in grape
(or cabbage) leaf to about finger size but shorter.  Pack closely in kettle;
put plate on top to hold down firmly.  Add _2 cups boiling water_; boil for 1
1/2 hours, adding more water as rice swells.  (There should be very little
gravy when done.)  Remove to platter; pour hot _tomato juice_ over all.
   Angelina _Kuhl_ Southard, '03

Pg. 66:
      _"SPIDER" CAKE_ (Next DARE?--ed.)
   _A Very Old New England Recipe_
1 1/2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup white flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1 cup sour milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups sweet milk
   Sift first five ingredients.  Add soda to sour milk; add eggs to 1 cup
sweet milk; stir in thoroughly.  Pour into well buttered "spider" (frying
pan).  Just before baking, pour second cup sweet milk into center; do not
stir.  Bake until golden (about 25 minutes).  Turn out on large round plate.
Should be consistency of custard.
   Alice _Manson_ Barlow, HPR '09

Pg. 99:
      _FLAKE CAKE_
      _An Old New Hampshire Recipe_ (Not in DARE or Mariani--ed.)
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
3 egg yolks, unbeaten
1 teaspoon clove
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup molasses, with scant 1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup sour milk, with scant 1/2 teaspoon soda
   Cream shortening and sugar; add egg yolks and clove.  Beat well.  Add
flour sifted with salt, alternately with liquids (molasses with soda and sour
milk with soda).  Bake in three greased and floured 8-inch layers (or in two
9-inch layers) at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.  Cool.  FROSTING AND
FILLING: Boil _1 cup sugar_ in 1/4 cup water_ until it will thread from
spoon; pour onto _3 stiffly beaten egg whites_ and beat until cold.
   Ella _Robinson_ Rose, x'01

Pg. 104:
      _CHOCOLATE CRUNCHIES_
      _Brownies' Cousin_
2 squares chocolate, melted
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, unbeaten
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup nut meats, chopped fine
   Mix ingredients (except nuts) in order given in top of double boiler.
Pour into shallow pan.  Spead nuts on top.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 15
minutes.  Cut in squares.
   Esther _Lacount_ Card, '22

Pg. 104:
      _SNIPPY DOODLES_
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
   Cream butter and sugar; add remaining ingredients.  Bake in buttered pan
in moderate oven for 15 to 20 minutes.  While hot sprinkle with sugar.  Cut
in squares.
   Florence L. Ellery, '88