Balloon Safari (1961 or 1963)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 24 05:54:44 UTC 2002

   I'll be going on a "balloon safari" (Not recorded in OED?  The things I do for etymology!) in Africa this Christmas.  I was told that the one I'm going on was the "first" balloon safari, and that it started in 1975.  OCLC WorldCat appears to show that that "first" claim is filled with hot air:

Flight of the lost balloon
Marshall Thompson;  Mala Powers;  James Lampier

1961
English  Visual Material : Motion picture :  Film 3 film reels (91 min.) : sd., col.; 16 mm.
[S.l.] : Woolner-Marquette-Juran Pictures,
The vast and ancient treasure of Cleopatra is the object of a safari that flies by hydrogen-filled balloon to the headwaters of the Nile. But the path to fortune is strewn with obstacles like condors that attack the balloon, a power mad Hindu and his natives out to get the fortune for themselves and wild animals.

Ownership: : 0
More Like This: Search for versions with same title and author | Advanced options ...
Title: Flight of the lost balloon
Author(s): Thompson, Marshall,; 1925- ; Powers, Mala,; 1931- ; Lampier, James.
Publication: [S.l.] :; Woolner-Marquette-Juran Pictures,
Year: 1961
Language: English
Abstract: The vast and ancient treasure of Cleopatra is the object of a safari that flies by hydrogen-filled balloon to the headwaters of the Nile. But the path to fortune is strewn with obstacles like condors that attack the balloon, a power mad Hindu and his natives out to get the fortune for themselves and wild animals.
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Hot air balloons.
Treasure-trove.
Note(s): Participants: Marshall Thompson, Mala Powers, James Lamphier.
Class Descriptors: Dewey: 813.5
Responsibility: Producer, Bernard Woolner; director, story and screenplay, Nathan Juran; executive director, Jacques Marquette.
Material Type: Projected image (pgr); Film (mot)
Document Type: Visual Material
Entry: 19830829
Update: 20020705
Accession No: OCLC: 9859235
Database: WorldCat

Jambo,
African balloon safari /
Anthony Smith

1963
English  Book 272 p. : ill. (part col.) map. ; 22 cm.
New York : Dutton,
Ownership: Check the catalogs in your library.
Libraries that Own Item: 245

More Like This: Search for versions with same title and author | Advanced options ...
Title: Jambo,
African balloon safari /
Author(s): Smith, Anthony, 1926-
Publication: New York : Dutton,
Year: 1963
Language: English
Standard No: LCCN: 63-9852
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Balloon ascensions.
Geographic: Africa -- Description and travel -- Aerial.
Note(s): "Published in England under the title of Throw out two hands."
Class Descriptors: LC: TL620.S58; Dewey: 916.76
Responsibility: Anthony Smith.
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19830818
Update: 19940517