on hanging

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 1 18:15:08 UTC 2002

>le 1/10/02 18:06, Laurence Horn à laurence.horn at YALE.EDU a écrit :
>
>>  A quick google check shows "hang a Ralph" whipping up on "hang a
>>  Roscoe" 21-2.  At least I hadn't been creating my Roscoe version from
>>  whole cloth, just rare cloth.  Both scores seem quite low than what
>>  I'd have thought.

>Hello,
>let's have a google fight !!! at http://www.googlefight.com/index.html
>whenever you need to check how prevailing an expression is over another.
>Apologies if this has already been posted here.
>
>Catherine

The problem is that when I tried this, it missed the two clear hits
on "hang a Roscoe" that turned up on a regular google search.  If I
had just done the googlefight, I might have really thought I was
hallucinating with my memory of Roscoes d'antan, but there they were,
both of them, on the search.
So careful with those fights.  (Did I really say "quite low than what
I'd have thought"?  I guess I forgot to revise the earlier part of my
sentence when I changed the later part.)

Larry