"23 skiddoo"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Oct 2 01:03:33 UTC 2002

    I always associated "23" (= scram, go away) with the twenty-third
psalm, recited so often at funerals; the number connected with
departing from this world may have become generic for rapid departure.

    Cf. "take a powder" (scram, leave), originally referring to
putting a poisonous powder in one's drink. Death-wishes have provided
at least one expression for slang "scram," perhaps more.

Gerald Cohen