Make/take a left/right, etc.

Ed Keer edkeer at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 2 19:19:21 UTC 2002

> Somehow this discussion of "make" vs. "take",
> combining with the
> thread on Philly, reminds me of that great billboard
> you see coming
> down on Amtrak from New York to Philadelphia just
> outside New
> Jersey's Capital City, reading
>
> TRENTON MAKES
> THE WORLD TAKES
>
> I've never been able to figure out if this is pride
> speaking, or a complaint.
>
> Larry

I've always loved that sign, which by the way is also
in large neon letters on a bridge crossing the
Delaware from Trenton to PA. I've tried collecting
similar slogans with unintended (?) other readings.
Unfortunately, the only other one that comes to mind
is New Hampshire's LIVE FREE OR DIE which always
seemed like a threat to me.

Any others?

Ed