Bad TV dialects

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Oct 4 18:07:40 UTC 2002

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, James A. Landau wrote:

> Which leads to a question.  I was under the impression that the term
> "redneck" was used ONLY to apply to a bucolic Southerner.  A bucolic Hoosier
> would be called a "hick" or a "yokel".  Correct?

It's my impression that now, here in the PNW "redneck" can be applied to
anyone from any part of the country. I think you are correct that it
was originally applied to Southerners but now it seems to have taken on
something of a political aspect, whereas "hick, yokel, hayseed" etc.
haven't. It also seems to have a certain pride associated with it as in
the immortal lyric, "There's no place I'd rather be than right here, with
my red neck, white sox and Blue Ribbon beer". I can't recall hearing
anyone ever refer to themselves as a "yokel" with even a trace of pride.

allen
maberry at u.washington.edu