Tuxedo (1887); "88" in Safire's column

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 5 17:07:41 UTC 2002

TUXEDO

   TUXEDO is the name of a new movie with Jackie Chan and Jennifer Love Hewitt.  The FINANCIAL TIMES has a story on the "tux" this week.  OED and MERRIAM-WEBSTER have 1889.

   24 May 1887, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 8 ad:
Messrs.
JAMES McCREERY & CO.
exhibit to-day and during
this week another invoice of
TUXEDO SUMMER SUITS.
   These Knitted Costumes
are far SUperior to any Flan-
nel Texture and are exceed-
ing in demand any suit they
have ever sold; in fact, no
lady's summer wardrobe is
complete without at least
one of these beautiful cos-
tumes; also the
LITTLE TUXEDO SUIT
for children, sizes from 4 to
14 years.  The above goods
are for sale only by
JAMES McCREERY & CO.,
Broadyway and 11th St.

   7 June 1887, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 8 ad:
The Little Tuxedo Suit.
THe most beautiful novelty
of the season for CHildren's
wear is our
"LITTLE TUXEDO KNITTED SUIT"
on exhibition in our window
this week.  (...)
JAMES McCREERY & CO.,
Broadway and 11th St.

   13 July 1887, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 8:
TRADE
   TUXEDO
MARK.
   For the months of July, August, September, and October our
KNITTED TUXEDO SUITS
have no rival.
   These suits are ready-made and rarely require any alteration; from their knitted texture they are especially adapted for the Seashore, the Mountains, Yachting, Lawn Tennis, Steamer wear, etc., etc.
THE TUXEDO KNITTED SUIT
   and
The Little Tuxedo Knitted Suit
For Children's Wear
ARE FOR SALE ONLY BY
JAMES McCREERY & CO.,
Broadway and 11th St.

   22 November 1889, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 8 ad:
The new "Tuxedo" suit, with soft roll coat, low cut vest and Knickerbockers, for ages 10 to 16 years. (...)
_Rogers, Peet & Co._

   5 December 1891, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 4:
WAITERS TO WEAR TUXEDO COATS. (...)  A resolution was adopted recommending that waiters hereafter use what is known as the "Tuzedo," which is made of white duck, sack shape, and with long rolling collar.  It is proposed to make the matter a national one, with the idea of having the coat adopted in all parts of the country.

88 IN SAFIRE'S COLUMN

   Here we go again.
   William Safire's "On Language" column in this Sunday's NEW YORK TIMES talks about "stop on a dime" and other "dime" stuff.  We've discussed this here before.  This language is only a mere 75 years old.  Safire opens up the RANDOM HOUSE HISTORICAL DICTIONARY OF AMERICAL SLANG for the only meaningful citation in the column--and can't even spell "Von Vechten" (it's "Von Vechter" here).
   The ADS-L discussion we had on "88=H.H.=Heil Hitler" is discussed next, and our great Larry Horn is mentioned.
   The correction of "cakewalk"? Well, it ain't here.
   Since Kathleen Miller recently posted here, I'll scream this once again:

   I'M A HUMAN BEING!
   I'M A HUMAN BEING!!!!!!!!!  HUMAN!  H-U-M-A-N!!!!!!!!!
   HOW MANY YEARS MUST I GO THROUGH THIS?  ONE YEAR?  TWO YEARS?  FIVE YEARS?  TEN YEARS?  MORE?  HOW MANY MORE TIMES MUST THINGS LIKE THIS MUST HAPPEN?
   TELL THE TRUTH!  TREAT ME WITH RESPECT!
   WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?
   WHAT KIND OF AN ORGANIZATION IS THIS THAT ALLOWS THIS TO HAPPEN TO ME FOR OVER TEN YEARS?

   Okay, that's enough shouting.
   Anyway, congrats to Larry Horn!

O.T.:  PARKING FINES

   As I've said, the AP ran a story that quoted a NYC Department of Finance spokesman as saying that most parking fines hadn't been increased since 1975.  I wrote to the AP and told them that I am an administrative law judge, and I know that this is wrong.
   The AP wrote back yesterday that the spokesman "stands by" what he said, but that the AP is asking him for proof.
   At least the AP--unlike the NEW YORK TIMES--gets back to you and checks on these things.  Hosannah!
   A similar story also ran October 1st in NEWSDAY.  There, the same spokesman said that parking fines hadn't been increased "since 1978."  (Also wrong.)
   Perhaps he stand by both statements?