Does jazz "ax(e)" derive from jazz "chops"?

Jonathon Green slang at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Mon Oct 7 09:02:05 UTC 2002

In re Gold. I haven't read Jazz Talk, only Jazz Lexicon. And looking yet
again at the entry for 'chops', I accept that here Gold states 'see 1962
quote' as regards 'technique' but as I trust Jesse would agree, the entry,
at least in the Lexicon, is less than crystal-clear - 'lumped togther' as he
puts it -  and I would still suggest that the 1947 Metronome cite is open to
interpretation. Is Robert Gold available for _his_ dictum?

Jonathon Green