Pelargoniums vs geraniums

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Oct 9 04:27:22 UTC 2002

Arnold's exasperation over the distinction reminded me of long-buried
memories of my first year in California (at UCLA), when I was quickly
corrected every time I expressed admiration and amazement at the
"geraniums" growing so luxuriantly everywhere. After awhile I learned to
make the distinction, though "geraniums" sold here in Tucson often look
suspiciously like pelargoniums.

        Reminds me also (re an earlier discussion) of the sign in Safeway
here for "yams" posted above a box (from California) labeled "sweet
potatoes".

        Maybe not everything from California sweeps the whole country.

        Rudy