Big Apple "whore theory" was all a joke

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Oct 9 09:48:19 UTC 2002

    This is a bizarre development. An author (Mr. Kroessler) with
pretensions to credibility puts his credibility behind an explanation
which collapses upon examination There's not a shred of evidence in
favor of the whore theory for NYC's sobriquet "The Big Apple," and
yet its veneer of plausibility has gained it some adherents among the
public. The "several clues" about the falseness of the theory may be
obvious to Mr. Kroessler, but they are cryptic at best to the public,
which seems totally unaware of them.

    If this is intended as a joke, where is the laughter? The more
appropriate term is "hoax."

    Is SNYCH (Society for New York City History) a bona-fide
historical society, or is it also intended as a joke? The name sounds
official, which of course adds to the public's willingness to accept
the whore-theory as a bona fide possibility.

Gerald Cohen
Professor of Foreign Languages
University of Missouri-Rolla
editor, _Comments on Etymology_
author of a book on the origin of the name "The Big Apple," plus
several follow-up articles on the subject (with full credit to Barry
Popik for his discoveries in this field). One follow-up article
concerns the whore theory.