Border States

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Oct 10 05:14:42 UTC 2002

No, Tennessee was never considered one of the "border states." It seceded
from the Union and joined the Confederacy in 1861. After the war, Tennessee
did, however, quickly ratify the 14th Amendment and was readmitted to the
Union before the Radical Republicans took control of Congress in 1867. It
therefore escaped the penalties of Reconstruction that were visited on the
other states of the Confederacy.

Of course none of the this has anything to do with linguistics (aside from
the definition of "border state").