Chinese Chicken Salad (1968)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 10 07:52:04 UTC 2002

   From the food section in Wednesday's NEW YORK TIMES, 9 October 2002 (about
LA delis):

But perhaps even more than in New York, the local deli owners acknowledged,
they were compelled to make significant changes in their menus because so
many customers were health conscious. "When I started, you had three salads —
chef's salad, cottage cheese and sour cream with canned peaches or pears, and
Jewish chop suey, which is chopped vegetables with sour cream," said Mr.
Ginsburg with a laugh. "Now we have a Chinese chicken salad, Cobb salad, you
name it. Sour cream is on the way out. And God help you if you serve canned
fruit."

   What's the deal with Chinese chicken salad?  Neither John Mariani's
ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK nor Jean Anderson's AMERICAN CENTURY
COOKBOOK has it.  There are over 8,000 Google hits!
   The NEW YORK TIMES, 9 July 1978, pg. L16, has a recipe for it.
   The earliest I could find was an ad in the NEW YORK TIMES, 19 May 1968,
pg. BR47, _The Art of Salad Making_ by Carol Truax:

And there are special international salads (from Austrian Apple-Potato Salad
to Chinese Chicken Salad)...