"pins & needles"?

paulzjoh paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Fri Oct 11 00:08:35 UTC 2002

My background, 67 YO Chicago upbringing:
Pins and Needles= nervous excitement
tenterhooks = nervous suspense

I tend to lay the misuse of what were once popular expressions, and even
standard english, to the lack of a general education on the part of the
users. When I was in grade and high school, english was stressed as part of
a general education.  I truly believe that people of my age could not have
got out of college with out understanding the difference between these two
phrases.
Perhaps we need a Microsoft Word product that diagrams sentences.  It makes
me wonder if our schools have become to goal orientated and are emphasising
a speciality at all costs over a well rounded education.