"An Ode to Sloppy Joe"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 11 02:24:27 UTC 2002

   Another story where I wasn't interviewed.  This is going to happen for the rest of my life.
   Jean Anderson?  What's she done on this term?...If there's a story in the works about "espresso" and "cappuccino"--and there will be--the NEW YORK TIMES will talk to Bozo before it talks to me!
   I posted the Havana origin of the name "Sloppy Joe" right here.
   I also posted the first citations of the familiar "Sloppy Joe" sandwich right here.
   The New Jersey "Sloppy Joe" is a different sandwich.  And the NEW YORK TIMES has _already_ done a story on it--on 12 August 1973, pg. 84, "Birthplace of 'Sloppy Joe.'"  That story said that NJ's Robert Sweeney made his Havana trip in 1932, not 1934 or 1935.  One TIMES story is probably right.  Check it out.
   I have not seen DARE's information, so I can't comment on what Leonard Zwilling has.
   Andrew Smith is referred to as the editor in chief of the OXFORD ENYCLOPEDIA OF FOOD AND DRINK.  A few weeks ago, he was the editor of the OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK.
   I thought I was submitting information to the the OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD!
   Didn't this "Ode to Joe" song fellow jump off a bridge?