Farm gate

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sat Oct 12 17:05:26 UTC 2002

We had these in Minnesota too, but I can't recall a particular name for
them besides 'gates'. They were usually short-term fixes, for farm
implement access, for example.  Steel or wooden gates were permanent.

The 'barb(ed)/bob wire' usage interests me.  We said 'barb wire', I believe
(along the lines of reduced 'ice tea'), but it was always printed 'barbed
wire'.  Is the 'bob' usage just a matter of r-lessness and respelling, or
is there a more complex history for the word?

--On Friday, October 11, 2002 11:08 PM -0600 Scott Swanson