"crunchy"

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Sun Oct 13 19:27:09 UTC 2002

I have just boldly gone to a new (for me) universe: National Review
Online. The URL is
http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/2002_10_06_corner-archive.asp#85547719
where you'll find references to "crunchy conservatives".

The word "crunchy" in this sense is new to me, but then I'm just a
PH.uddy D.uddy mired in the past. . . NOT as a conservative, however,
crunchy or not.

--  mike salovesh     <m-salovesh-9 at alumni.uchicago.edu>     PEACE !!!

Here's one relevant section out of many:

> CRUNCHY, PART IV: [Rod Dreher] Perhaps I've created part of the confusion by using the word "crunchy."    If I had known that so many conservatives would sese themselves in my essays, I would have found a better term    (and please readers, send in your suggestions). I thought that I and a few of my friends were just eccentric right-wingers; I had no idea so many people shared our sensibilities. "Crunchy" is the slang term used to describe people whose tastes in food and fashion run toward the stripped-down, the "natural" (e.g., "Look at that girl with  no make-up; is she crunchy, or what?"). There's a lot of that among crunchy cons, but it really is about their ideas, and how they've implemented those ideas into their lifestyle. The only nod my own wardrobe makes toward crunchiness is the Birkenstocks; my hair is shorter than yours, Jonah. "Crunchy" came into it as a descriptive term only because I wanted to highlight the novelty that there are conservatives whose counter!
cultural conservative (traditionalist?) beliefs cause them to rub shoulders at times with leftists outside the liberal mainstream.