Chat room

Drew Danielson andrew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Mon Oct 14 11:50:03 UTC 2002

> Date:    Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:39:42 -0400
> From:    Dodi Schultz <SCHULTZ at COMPUSERVE.COM>
> Subject: Chat room
>
> Jim Landau writes,
>
>   >> According to American Speech, Volume 77, Number 3 (Fall 2002) page 311
>   >> footnote, ADS-L is a "chat room".
>
> A *lot* of people don't know the difference.
>
> Sshhhh. Let's not tell them.
>
> --Dodi Schultz

I find this to be strange that there wasn't care taken to be more
precise in this designation.  As synchronous (chat room) or
'subchronous' (mailing lists, b-boards) discourse media go, the Internet
(which, as I am not writing in German, probably should stop being
capitalized) is quickly coming up to speed, and in some aspects
surpassing, the facility and popularity of telephone, telegraph, and the
USPS.

But you knew that already ;)

 - Drew (who switched to digest to avoid chronic overload)