what do you call...?

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Mon Oct 14 20:29:08 UTC 2002

In our neighborhood bake / coffee shop, a branch of the Panera chain, my
daughter & I saw a sign reading

        Feeling cinnamental?

and promoting various cinnamon-flavored products in their current
"Cinnamondo" promotion. She asked what I as a linguist would call
"cinnamental" and what branch of linguistics studies such. The best I
could say was that it's a type of blend, and dependent on the nasal-flap
pronunciation of "sentimental". (For strict homophony it would require
dInIs-raising -- what do we call that? -- but the pun works for me
without that.)

-- Mark A. Mandel