Cutting Didoes (gone OT)

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Wed Oct 16 21:49:30 UTC 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, James A. Landau wrote:

#I can't resist citing some Heinleiniana:
#
#connected universes:
#
#The "Future History" contains all Heinlein works until about 1945 not
#published under pseudonyms, plus "Time Enough For Love", "To Sail Beyond The
#Sunset", and maybe "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls" (which I haven't read.)
# It does not contain "The Number of the Beast"
#
#"Number of the Beast" and "Stranger in a Strange Land" share the character of
#Jubal Harshaw

The premise of NotB and its sequels, To Sail and The Cat, is that the
Burroughs device allows access to multiple possible universes, including
the ones of literature. The characters visit and/or meet characters from
Oz, Alice's Wonderland, Heinlein's own _Stranger in a Strange Land_ and
_The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress_ and the Future History (Lazarus Long
being a principal character in NotB & seqq.), and many others. The
"Future History" universe may not contain NotB & seqq, but the reverse
is certainly true.

-- Mark A. Mandel