Agreement question

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Oct 18 17:00:56 UTC 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 12:53:25PM -0400, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>Of course "the stories the team tell" or "the stories the jury tell"
>are perfectly good English in some varieties, so I'd go for the
>plural sense rather than the 's' business.

Yes, but at least in my variety of English, and the idiolects of
others I've asked, "the stories the press tell" is more
acceptable than "the stories the team tell", however acceptable
the latter might be in other varieties. So I'm looking for some
explanation of why there's this discrepancy.

Jesse Sheidlower