Churkendoose (1946); In Like Flynn

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 21 19:00:44 UTC 2002

CHURKENDOOSE

   From OCLC Worldcat:

Title: This is the story of the churkendoose; part-chicken, turkey, duck, and goose /
Author(s): Berenberg, Ben Ross. ; Cunningham, Dellwyn.
Publication: New York : Wonder Books,
Year: 1946
Language: English
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Animals -- Fiction.
Note(s): 1974 printing.
Class Descriptors: Dewey: 813.54
Other Titles: Churkendoose
Responsibility: By Ben Ross Berenberg. The pictures are by Dellwyn Cunningham.
Material Type: Fiction (fic); Juvenile audience (jau)
Document Type: Book
Entry: 20021003
Update: 20021003
Accession No: OCLC: 50728569
Database: WorldCat

IN LIKE FLYNN

   "In like Flynn" was discussed in the FYI column, City section, of last Sunday's NEW YORK TIMES.  Do people still ask such moldy questions anymore?  I guess they do.
   The TIMES attributes it to Boss Flynn, not to Errol Flynn.  The TIMES seems pretty sure of itself, but it's very curious that no scholar is cited, nor any scholarly work.
   The first "in like Flynn" citation is not in the RHHDAS, but right here on ADS-L, posted by me, from the Peter Tamony collection.  As usual, I was not contacted.  (NOTE TO THE NEW YORK TIMES:  I live here!)
   A check of the NEW YORK TIMES full text shows no "in like Flynn" hit before the extremely late date of 1958.  So I'm still dubious of the Bronx boss origin.
   It is possible that FLYNN'S DETECTIVE WEEKLY used the term.  This was a popular magazine in the 1920s and 1930s.
   Until we turn up a definitive citation, I wouldn't be as sure as FYI is.