Maltese food; Tipping (1990)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 22 05:44:01 UTC 2002

O.T.  JAMES OSSUARY

   Just as I return from Malta (after following in the footsteps of St.
Paul), it's announced (Biblical Archaeology Review, NY Times, CNN, Drudge
Report, Reuters) that a first century ossuary has been discovered.  The
inscription is of "James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus."  If true, this
would be our earliest Jesus document (63 A. D.).
   I don't know.  The thing doesn't come from a recent dig.  It's been around
for 2,000 years and no one read the inscription before?
   I have to solve everything in every language?

TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA

   31 August 1990, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. C1:
   Other signs spread witty, sometimes peace-love slogans like "Have a nice
day" and "Tipping is not a city in China."

MALTESE FOOD

   11 March 1962, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. XX16:
   Freshly caught fish is delicious, and the special "Lampuki" fish pie must
be tasted.  TImpana is an elaborate macaroni and liver combination baked
inside a luscious crust.  Country-style rabbit and spaghetti is served at its
best in country restaurants. (...)  "Rikotta," a creamy cheese made of
sheep's milk, is used in the hot, flaky cheese cakes served in all cafes, a
very special Maltese treat that should not be missed.

   28 April 1968, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. XX39:
   In many towns, small anonymous restaurants, bearing only the sign "Maltese
Dishes," feature such local delicacies as _timpana_, a tasty macaroni pie;
another pie made from _lampuki_, a local fish, and the national specialty,
stewed rabbit and spaghetti.

THE DEFINITIVE(LY) GOOD GUIDE TO
RESTAURANTS IN MALTA AND GOZO 2001
Rabat, Malta: The Definitive(ly) Good Guide Co. Ltd.
(info at restaurantsmalta.com)
(No copyright date.  2000?--ed.)

Pg. 41:
_Maltese Food_
(...)
_ Soups (Sopop)_
Broad bean soup (Kuksu)...
Fish soup (Aljotta)...
Widow's soup (Soppa ta' l-Armla)...
Pg. 42:
Vegetable soup (Minestra)...
_Pasta (Ghagin)_
Macaroni in pastry (Timpana)...
Spaghetti with rabbit sauce (Fenkata)...
_Pies (Torta)_
Cheese cakes and Pea cakes (Pastizzi)...
Spinach and Ricotta pie (Torta ta' l-Irkotta u Spinaci)...
Lampuki pie (Torta tal-Lampuki)...
Pg. 44:
_Meat (Laham)_
Beef olives (Bragjoli)...
Fried rabbit (Fenek moqli)...
A Rabbit feast (Fenkata)...
Beef Stew (Stuffat tal-Laham)...
Roast Stuffed Chicken (Tigiega Mimlija)...
Pg. 45:
Snail Salad (Bebbux)...
_Vegetable dishes (Haxix)_
Broad beans with garlic (Ful bit-tewm...
Stuffed Globe Artichokes (Qacog Mimli)...
Stuffed Green Peppers (Bzar Ahdar Mimli)...
Stuffed Marrows and Aubergines (Qargha Baghli Mimli, Bringiel Mimli)...
Cabbage (Kabocci)...
Pg. 46:
Stuffed olives (Zebbug mimli)...
Broad Bean Paste (Bigilla)...
Cauliflowers with Goat's Cheese (Pastard bil Gbejniet)...
_Fish (Hut)_
Bogue (Vopa)...
Sea Bream (Pagru)...Pandora and Red Bream (Pagella Hamra and tal-Gargi)...
Pg. 48:
Dentex (Dantici)...
Sea Bass (Spnotta)...
Grouper (Cerna)...
Stone bass, wreckfish (Dott)...
Transparent Goby (Makku)...
John Dory (Pesce San Pietro)...
Scorpion fish (Skorfna)...
Pg. 49:
Hake (Marluzz)...
Garfish (Imsell)...
Amberjack (Accola. Cervjola when young)...
Dolphin fish (Lampuka)...

(I have many other Maltese cookbooks here, but that'll do for now.  I have to
judge other New Yorkers and find them guilty without due process tomorrow,
but on Wednesday I'll look up some Maltese dictionaries, HOLIDAY magazine,
and TRAVEL magazine, and try to get better dates for "pastizzi" and
"qassatat" and "bragioli."  Surprisingly, I couldn't find a single "pastizzi"
in the pre-1986 NEW YORK TIMES--ed.)