David Bowie's "Suffragettte City" (Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 23 02:12:10 UTC 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> This is David Bowie's "Suffragette City."  Sorry if the lyrics appear
> smushed:

Thanks, but I already knew about the Bowie lyrics.  I guess I should have
framed my question more precisely: is there any evidence of pre-Bowie
usage?  I'm guessing the phrase was around before this.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,