Rally Monkey & Indy Colts' Monkeys

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Wed Oct 23 06:28:36 UTC 2002

"Dennis R. Preston" wrote:

> My pragmatics are alarmed at the phrase "a sportcaster named Howard
> Cossell." Isn't that a little like "a religious figure named Jesus
> Christ" or "a fascist leader named Adolf Hitler"?
>
> dInIs

Dennis:

You're showing your age. Believe it or not, there are lots of people
(including stacks of today's undergrads) who not only don't remember
Howard Cossell but draw blanks on "thriller in Manila" or "Cassius Clay"
. . . or, for that matter, such Viet Nam War catchphrases as "light at
the end
of the tunnel" or even "make love, not war".  "I like Ike" or "when
Harry dropped the bomb" are blanks for any but some pretty old codgers,
and I haven't run across anyone who responds "we do our part" to NRA for
ages. (No, I don't remember the early days of the New Deal -- but I was
thirteen when I learned that "President" wasn't a bound morpheme,
inseparable from "Roosevelt".)

Hell, I can remember going to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs the last
time they made it to the Series just like it was yesterday.

Trouble is I'm starting to have trouble remembering yesterday like it
was yesterday.

--  mike salovesh     <m-salovesh-9 at alumni.uchicago.edu>     PEACE !!!