Non native speaker?

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Oct 23 18:01:29 UTC 2002

This treatment of the interdental fricatives is one of the commonly reported
features of AAVE (African American Vernacular English) phonology. The
appearance of stops in initial position for Standard English fricatives is
found in vernaculars all over the US and Britain (and maybe elsewhere). The
pattern of [f] for [theta] is, I think, more restricted but not exclusive to
AAVE. I don't have Wells here to check.