soccer usages

Fritz Juengling Friolly at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 24 00:41:50 UTC 2002

I have been curious about various soccer terms on both sides of the pond for
some time.  I have had kids playing soccer and I have been a coach for years.
 I do not know whether the terms we use are common in the US or just Oregon
(or just Salem); I hope others will chime in.  The positions we have are
forward, midfielder (usually shortened to 'mid') and defender.  We also have
a 'goalie', altho I do quite often hear 'keeper.'  We often preface each
position with 'left, center or right'. We also have soccer teams and games.
A club to me would suggest the organization or league in which a team plays.
BTW, our goalie defends the OTHER team's goal, not ours.
Fritz