soccer usages

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Thu Oct 24 15:06:38 UTC 2002

As a five-year season ticket holder to DC United (our local MLS team), and
one of six Anglo members of the Latino fan club - it seems to be dependent
on who you're talking to, whether it's a US American, a Latin American, or
a European (occasionally you'll get an US American who follows Brit Footy
avidly and therefore uses the more Euro terms "striker" and "keeper" all
the time).  Among the US Americans - "goalie" is more prevalent than
"keeper", but you'll hear "who's on goal?" more often than "who's the
goalie/keeper?" (On Fritz's BTW - does that mean your players have to get
the ball past their OWN goalie to score?) We refer to the "team" and the
"league" but it's a "match" not a "game" and a "pitch" not a "field." The
positions are as Fritz's mentions.

On a side note on soccer fan usages; one of my favorites - which comes from
the Anglo fan club that sits right next to us - whenever they think that a
player from the opposing team has "taken a dive" and is faking his injuries
- they scream "Greg Louganis!"

Katy

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire