Donald Lance remembered

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Oct 25 10:13:20 UTC 2002

Gerald Cohen posted a truly wonderful story about Don Lance.  Many thanks
for that.

With the passing of greats like Lance and Read, not to mention Cassidy and
Guralnik recently, it is a solace that we can share remembrances of what
made these lexicographical giants so remarkable, and that we will still have
their published work to rely on for guidance.

Don Lance edited the 12th edition of Kenyon's _American Pronunciation_, to
which he also added a section titled "Spectrographic Analysis of English
Phonemes and Allophones".  This is a monument to Don's work, and not the
only one.  The book was published in 1997 by George Wahr Publishing of Ann
Arbor.  Those who are interested in this area of linguistics and do not have
it, or at least access to it, should try to get a copy.  It seems it is no
longer in print, but amazon shows several used copies out there.

We shall miss Don Lance a lot.

Frank Abate