Fifth Column (re Ali and rap)

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed Oct 30 21:45:33 UTC 2002

I used the wrong term.  Rap, particularly as a commercial art form, started
up well after Ali developed his reputation for extemporaneous verse.
However, Ali's poetry and rap have common roots in folk poetry that Ali's
may actually have been closer to.  As a verb, "rap" certainly goes back
farther than the art form.  I remember it from civil rights marches in the
'60s, and Thomas Kochman edited a collection in 1972 titled Rappin' and
Stylin' Out.

Herb