Duck soup

Jewls2u Jewls2u at WHIDBEY.COM
Sun Sep 1 18:34:48 UTC 2002

When we were kids my dad used to read my sister and me stories from "The
Exploits of the Incomparable Mulla Nasrudin". The book was published in 1966
and the dedication reads:
 "Mulla Nasrudin, Chief of the Dervishes and Master of a hidden treasure, a
perfect man... Many say: I wanted to learn, but here I have found only
maddness. Yet, should they seek deep wisdom elsewhere, they may not find
it." From Teachings of Nasrudin, Bokharan ms. of 1617 by Ablahi Mutlaq, "The
Utter Idiot".

Duck Soup

A kinsman came to see Nasrudin from the country, and brought a duck.
Nasrudin was grateful, had the bird cooked and shared it with his guest.

Presently another visitor arrived. He was a friend, as he said, "of the man
who gave you the duck". Nasrudin fed him as well.

This happened several times. Nasrudin's home had become like a restaurant
for out-of-town visitors. Everyone was a friend at some removes of the
original donor of the duck.

Finally Nasrudin was exasperated. One Day there was a knock at the door and
a stranger appeared. "I am the friend of the friend of the friend of the man
who brought you the duck from the country," he said.

"Come in," said Nasrudin.

They seated themselves at the table, and Nasrudin asked his wife to bring
the soup.

When the guest tasted it, it seemed to be nothing more than warm water.
"What sort of soup is this?" he asked the Mulla.

"That," said Nasrudin, "is the soup of the soup of the soup of the duck."

Julienne