Duck soup

Mon Sep 2 11:51:40 UTC 2002

I don't think Ron's lampoon is invalid at all. Of course we all know
the various phonetic and psycholinguistic traps that alter the shape
of the origins of a term, often making it completely opaque (the
French origins of the Picketwire River and Gnaw Bone, IN are easy to
see only after they are pointed out). Such processes range from
well-known phonetic ones through slips of the tongue and ear and
clang associations, to systematic failures of correspondences between
languages, and on and on.
All linguists have these possibilities (even plausibilities) in their
interpretive repertoires, and, given some other triggering
information (and this is the crucial point), are ready to latch onto
one. Careful etymologies, while fully aware of the vagaries of sound
over time and contact, would not, in my opinion, simply exploit,
list-like, those which come to mind first.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics