"weird" as a verb

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Tue Sep 3 15:33:40 UTC 2002

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Douglas Bigham wrote:

#Just wondering.... Is anyone looking for citations for "weird" as a verb
#meaning something like "to confuse or bother"?
#It's something that I've been hearing and using for a while now (like, 7
#years at least), and I know it's not localized (people on Mtv use it all the
#time).

I've heard it for years, but originally as "weird out" ("That really
weirds me out"). The loss of the particle is in line with a trend:
        hang out 'spend time' (with PERSON, at PLACE)
         -> hang

Oh damn, I've mentally misplaced the other examples that I've noticed,
but I know there are at least several. Help!

-- Mark A. Mandel