Hot Brown (1949); Apizz

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 4 01:22:30 UTC 2002

APIZZ

   From the NEW YORK SUN, 3 September 2002, pg. 12, col. 1, DailyCandy
(www.dailycandy.com):

_Apizz Restaurant Opens_
(...)
   "Apizz" is what they call pizza in Naples.  (Want to pretend you're a
local?  Pronounce it "ah-BEETS.")  The menu includes southern-Italian comfort
food: wild-boar lasagna, meatballs with ricotta in tomato gravy, stuffed
peppers, and clams oreganata. (...)
   Apizz, 217 Eldridge Street, between Stanton and Rivington Streets
(212-253-9199).

HOT BROWN

   There's no mystery at all to "Hot Brown."  (Not in DARE??)  It comes from
Louisville's Brown Hotel.  If someone gives me money, I'd stop doing parking
tickets, go down there and find an earlier citation.
   In the meantime, I'll post this.

OUT OF KENTUCKY KITCHENS
by Marion Flexner
New York: Franklin Watts, Inc.
1949

Pg. 31:
   _BROWN HOTEL SANDWICH SPECIALS_
                                         _(Quickie!)_
These two sandwiches are specialties of Louisville's Brown Hotel.
                     _BROWN SANDWICH (cold)_
                        (1 serving)
1 thin slice rye bread, crust removed
Thin slices baked chicken or turkey
Bibb or leaf lettuce to cover bread
1 slice ripe tomato, peeled (large)
1 egg, hard-boiled and sliced in rings
Thousand Island dressing to top sandwich
   This is an open-face sandwich.  To make it, place the bread on the salad
plate.  Butter it lightly if you wish.  Cover with the lettuce, then the
meat, then the tomato (cut 1/2 inch thick).  Frame the tomato with the egg
circles.  Surround with more Bibb lettuce leaves or shredded leaf lettuce.
Pass Thousand Island dressing to douse all over sandwich.  This is, of
course, a meal in itself--an excellent luncheon or supper or after-theater
dish.  In summer we serve this with iced tea in which a scoop of lime or
lemon sherbet has been placed.

               _BROWN SANDWICH (hot)_
                  (4 servings)
   For some reason, this sandwich seems to be more popular than the cold
Brown Sandwich and visitors to the Brown Hotel will often order this (Pg.
32--ed.) without consulting the menu.  I like it in winter or on a cold day,
but I am still partial to the cold Brown Sandwich when the weather is hot.
4 slices of toast
4 slices baked chicken or turkey (cut from the breast) about 1/4 inch thick
1/4 C American cheese, grated
8 strips bacon, fried crisp
4 T grated Parmesan cheese
1 C cream sauce
   Blend yellow cheese with cream sauce until cheese has melted.  Place a
piece of chickien on each piece of toast, and cover with 1/4 cup of sauce.
Place 2 strips of bacon (previously cooked) on each sandwich, and sprinkle
with 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese.  Place sandwiches in a pan under
the flame until the cheese melts and becomes a golden-brown.  Serve at once.
This recipe makes 4 portions.  If you have individual shallow baking dishes,
either pottery or copper, use them.  This sandwich should really be served in
the dish in which it was browned.