"I'd rather be a lamppost in New York" (1886)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 4 18:10:28 UTC 2002

   Who knew that this classic New York line went back so far?  I heard it as "I'd rather be a lamppost in Harlem."
   But why does one have to be only a lamppost in New York?  SOMEBODY in New York is certainly more than a lamppost.
   Not me.   A lamppost in New York gives light to New Yorkers.  I can't even accomplish that.

   20 June 1886, NEW YORK TIMES, Pg. 14:
   I remembered hearing some fellow say once that he'd "rather be a lamppost in New-York than a King anywhere else," and I felt that way myself.

   5 October 1894, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 3:
   A gentleman told me yesterday he would rather be a lamppost in New-York than be the Mayor of any other place.

   8 November 1907, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 8:
   Such a one said to me a day or so ago: "I would rather be a lamppost on Broadway than Mayor of Buffalo."