Nominalized inflectional morphemes

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Wed Sep 4 19:36:23 UTC 2002

I said:
#>               Fe
#>               ||
#>               C
#>              / \
#>          Fe=C   C=Fe
#>             |   |
#>          Fe=C   C=Fe
#>              \ /
#>               C
#>               ||
#>               Fe
#>  A riddle for chemists, who start to turn red at the impossibility of it.

Jim Landau hazarded:
#Pearlite necklace?  Ferrite core?  Cast-iron pipe?  The Iron Crown of
#Lombardy?  Mercedes Benzene? I give up.

And Thomas F. Joyce said:
#Say "Ferrous Hexene" fast, or something like that, is my guess.

#On second thought, make that "ferrous hexane."

Oh, dear, I didn't think it would be that difficult, especially
considering where we came in. OTOH, the distortion of monospace font,
making the ring much taller and narrower than usual, masks part of the
clue.

Can you say "ferrous wheel"?

-- Mark A. Mandel