Can't Steal First Base (1941)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Sep 6 03:59:40 UTC 2002

That's the usual sense of the term. But it has a wider official definition.
>From "Official Baseball Rules," The Sporting News, 1996 edition, p. 16, Sec
2.00 Definitions:

"FIELDER'S CHOICE is the act of a fielder who handles a fair grounder and,
instead of throwing to first base to put out the batter-runner, throws to
another base in an attempt to put out a preceding runner. This term is also
used by scorers
(a) to account for the advance of the batter-runner who takes one or more
extra bases when the fielder who handles his safe hit attempts to put out a
preceding runner;
(b) to account for the advance of a runner (other than by stolen base or
error) while a fielder is attempting to put out another runner; and
(c) to account for the advance of a runner made solely because of the
defensive team's indifference (undefended steal)."

I don't think I've ever heard a play-by-play announcer use "fielder's
choice" for "catcher's indifference," but scorers and sabermetricians
certainly use it this way.

I've never heard or seen "undefended steal" other than in the rulebook, but
I thought I'd throw it in to see if anyone reacted. Googling doesn't turn up
any hits for it, except for quotes from the rulebook.