Ducks in a row (1938)

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 6 15:21:19 UTC 2002

sagehen said:
>  Mark A. Mandel writes:
>>Going back to _Make Way For Ducklings_, as an exemplar of the
>>single-file behavior of momma duck and babies, I think that the duck
>>connection *is* semantically plausible (not that I have any citational
>>or other evidence for it). Momma duck is the leader and organizer of the
>>expedition.  Having the ducklings in a row following her is necessary to
>>its success.
>
>~~~~~~~
>I dunno.  "In a row" to me suggests facing broadside, not follow-the-leader
>fashion in a file or line.

Agreed. I get an image of one of those carnival booths where you
shoot a duck (cut-out) and win a prize. The ducks are lined up (and
moving) facing you (the shooter).

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963