Mongolian Grill/Barbecue/Hotpot (1961)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Sep 7 19:57:08 UTC 2002

At 1:25 PM -0400 9/7/02, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    I'd posted an article about this phenomenon from a Hawaiian
>publication, about 1965.  Despite the claims that "Mongolian"
>cooking goes back to Genghis Khan, the 1965 article said it was
>"new" and "from Japan."

This sort of dish is very popular among sumo wrestlers and their
devotees in Tokyo, and I assume elsewhere in Japan.  It's really the
only thing I found anyone eating there that seemed at all fattening.
My hosts did accept my suspicion that it was associated with a
Mongolian origin, but it also seems to have become very assimilated
to Japan.  I forget what the Japanese term is for, essentially, (what
we call) Mongolian Hot Pot, but the restaurants that serve it aren't
Chinese restaurants as such.

Larry