SHOUTING; emphasis?

Mon Sep 9 14:03:56 UTC 2002

In a message dated 9/8/02 10:20:44 PM, dcamp911 at JUNO.COM writes:

<< I've watched this thread with some surprise. I used caps to indicate
shouting in writing dialog long before email. >>

EXCLUSIVELY shouting? Certainly caps are the marked form in most writing (but
cf. telegraphs), and thus must be pragmatically accounted for in any
discourse. So sometimes folks will think you are shouting, but that is
scarcely the only conclusion one can come to in ordinary writing. Heck,
sometimes readers will think your keyboard is stuck.